If your loved one is no longer able to live on their own, it may be time to consider an assisted living facility. It is never easy to trust strangers to care for your loved one, and with so many facilities to choose from, it can be difficult to be sure you are choosing the right place. We understand the vital importance of this decision, which is why we’ve put together this list of tips to help you make an informed and confident choice.
Consider these factors when selecting an assisted living facility for your loved one:
- How much freedom do residents have? One of the most difficult challenges a patient may face when entering a nursing home is a loss of their independence. Generally, the more freedom they are allowed in an assisted living facility, the happier they will be.
- What are the facility’s security policies? Your loved one’s medical needs are a primary concern, but so is their safety and security. Ask a prospective nursing facility whether they have security guards to keep patients from wandering off the premises, whether they have smoke detectors and fire alarms, whether they have their own hospital transport, etc.
- Is there enough qualified staff? One of the biggest concerns in nursing homes and assisted living facilities is the staff-to-patient ratio. If this number is high, or if the staff seems harried or overworked, your loved one may not receive the level of care he or she needs and deserves.
- What activities are available? Part of staying active and healthy is taking part in engaging activities. At Mount Carmel Assisted Living, we ensure the wellbeing of our residents by offering a range of activities to keep minds and bodies active. We even have a beauty shop on site to help our residents look and feel their best.
- How are the memory impaired cared for? Many elderly patients who enter into assisted living facilities suffer from some degree of memory impairment. If this describes your loved one, it is very important to choose a facility that is equipped to provide them with specialized care.
About Mount Carmel Assisted Living
Mount Carmel Assisted Living was the first assisted living facility in Henry County specializing in memory care. The majority of our staff and caregivers has been with us for over a decade and we have been locally owned and operated for nearly 30 years. Since 1986, we have prided ourselves on offering exceptional assisted living care in Hampton, GA and the surrounding areas. We encourage you to visit our website to learn more about the benefits and amenities we offer.
We are available 7 days a week to offer tours to prospective residents and their families and walk-ins are welcome Monday through Friday. To schedule your tour with our Georgia assisted living facility, please contact us today.