For seniors, healthy eating is crucial! At Mount Carmel Assisted Living, we care about the health and nutrition of your loved ones. As you age, it is imperative to have a healthy body and mind, which is why eating right benefits both, increases energy, and helps speed up healing processes.
The following are five important nutrition tips for a well-rounded and healthy diet:
- Decrease sodium intake. Salt makes it more difficult to retain water and can increase blood sugar. Instead, try foods with low sodium levels, and season with herbs and spices instead of salt.
- Increase your fiber intake. Fiber lowers your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. So eat fruits, vegetables, whole grain, and nuts.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration. Water is an important nutrient for your overall health. Do not let your loved one get dehydrated and make sure they drink small amounts of fluids constantly throughout the day. Keep fluids with sugar and salt at a minimum.
- Read the “Nutrition Facts” label. When you eat packaged foods, read the labels to find items which are lower in fat, sodium, and added sugars. If there are ingredients you cannot read, stay away! These are often full of chemicals, GMOs, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and other harmful ingredients.
- Eat good fats. Avocados, olive oil, salmon, and walnuts protect your body against heart disease.
Whether you know a great deal about nutrition or not, it is beneficial to learn about eating whole, clean foods in order to improve both you and your loved ones’ health. Use these tips to making a healthy impact!
For more information about our philosophy of care at our Hampton assisted living facility, contact us at (770) 824-3385.